A step by step process that was at just the right pace.
Everything was really well prepared and beautifully presented.
Delegates from Directions in Abstraction 2021
Booking Opens Early 2023. Join the early bird list here
Dates 20th March – 8th June 2023
Directions in Abstraction is an online course designed to teach and inspire artists who have a keen interest in abstraction and would like to develop this further. Through a range of techniques in abstract painting such as colour concepts, texture development, and collage and scaling experiments, you will quickly expand your artistic knowledge, callow your painting practices to evolve and begin to find your authentic voice as an artist.
This course welcomes small group sizes, limited to just twenty-four, which lets Lin Cheung support and encourage your creative development on a more personal level. Lin’s teachings are also delivered live rather than pre-recorded, allowing you to ask questions throughout and really feel a part of the conversations and demonstrations.
The course itself is built up each week, using well-thought-out and structured lesson plans to delve into the skills and techniques of abstract painting, along with the sources of inspiration and artistic mindsets. Check out what last year’s delegates had to say about the course HERE.
The programme will include:
- a programme that is structured to build your understanding step by step, designed by a practicing and exhibiting artist, qualified teacher and group leader
- clear lesson plans and outcomes all available as downloadable PDF’s with the option to buy a hardback book of all the course materials.
- a three-hour live teaching session on each Monday of the programme from 4.30pm until 7.30pm UK time. Each session is recorded and uploaded to the website for later viewing
- a dedicated web portal with access to teaching materials and videos available until 1 October 2023
- a full list of materials needed for the course
- a variety of teaching methods including group and individual exercises, live paint-along sessions, sketchbook and journaling prompts
- maximum group size of 24 people to encourage interaction, getting to know each other and one on one feedback from me
- two-hour group coaching sessions on Thursday evening from 4.30pm until 6.30pm UK time where you can post images for feedback and ask questions
- a free half hour one to one coaching session with Lin bookable during and after the programme up until the 1st October 2023.
- group coaching is led by an experienced coach and group facilitator
- a private Facebook community for sharing images, support during the course and keeping in touch afterwards.
The 10 Week Programme
|Week Number||Date||Topic||Outline||Coaching Dates|
|Week 0||20th March||Introductions, Q&A session.||A one hour session getting to know each other and saying “hello”||Nothing this week|
|Week 1||27th March||Getting Started with Line||An exploration of line||30th March|
|Week 2||03rd April||Looking at Shape and Pattern||An exploration of shape||6th April|
|Week 3||10th April||Express Yourself with Colour||Colour wheel, techniques in colour mixing.||13th April|
|Week 4||17th April||Collage and Composition||Making collage papers and collage play. Ideas on composition||20th April|
|Week 5||24th April||Intuition & Free Expression|
|Accessing intuition for free expression||27th April|
|Rest week||01st May||Take a rest!||Nothing this week|
|Week 6||08th May||Surface Texture and History||How to create surface texture & history.||11th May|
|Week 7||15th May||Intention and Making Decisions||Structures and frameworks for decision making||18th May|
|Week 8||22nd May||Inspiration and Influence||What inspires you?||25th May|
|Week 9||29th May (possible late session due to exhibition commitments)||Scaling Up|
This session may not start until at 6pm UK time TBC
|Scaling up to make larger works||01st June|
|Week 10||05th June||Editing & Finishing||Editing and completing work||8th June|
Read more about my teaching model here.
Read comments from last year’s delegates here.
Cost and Terms
Cost for the programme is £350.00 (fee is charged in GB pounds). Click here for a currency converter.
Payment in two instalments of £175, one immediately on booking and the other on the 15th March.
You can cancel with a 100% refund up to 10 days before the start of the programme, thereafter a no refund policy applies. Lin Cheung reserves to right to cancel or reschedule the programme if there are less than 12 delegates. You will have the option to request a full refund or transfer your booking to the next available date.
Teaching and coaching sessions are recorded using Zoom. As this means that group members may be recorded all video teaching and training material on this programme is confidential to the registered members of the course. It may not be shared or accessed by anyone not registered for the programme.
All written, visual and video material on this programme are the intellectual property of Lin Cheung and may not be distributed or reproduced for commercial use without prior permission.